Justin Fox Burks, Amy Lawrence
Anyone not adequately acquainted with the South's true culinary terrain might struggle with the idea of a Southern vegetarian. Justin Fox Burks and Amy Lawrence turn that notion on its head by recasting garden bounty as the headlining act on a plate.
In a region distinguished by ideal growing conditions and generations of skilled farmers, Southern-style vegetarian cooking is not only possible but a pursuit brimming with vine-ripened possibility.
Grab a chair in Burks and Lawrence's kitchen and discover modern recipes that evoke the flavors of traditional Southern cooking.
The Southern Vegetarian Cookbook is filled with techniques, ingredients and dishes loved so dearly throughout the region including:
- Lemon Zest and Thyme Pimento Cheese,
- Grilled Watermelon and Tomato Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette,
- Okra Fritters with Creole Mustard Sauce,
- Vegetarian Red Beans and Rice with Andouille Eggplant,
- Roast Beet Salad with Sea Salt Granola and Honey Tarragon Dressing,
- Grilled Peach Ice Cream and more!
Despite the stigma that the South is one big feast of meaty indulgence, Burks and Lawrence are adding health substance to the definition of Southern food.
Whether you're a devoted plant-eater or a steadfast omnivore, The Southern Vegetarian Cookbook will help you shift vegetables from the outskirts of your plate into main course position. Eating your vegetables has never been more delicious.